Helping someone off Death Row inspired my PR business, with Tracy Lamourie
Tracy Lamourie shares her incredible 20-year campaign to help free an innocent man from death row and how her passion for advocacy led her to become an award-winning international publicist.
Three key juicy bits from this week’s episode:
- Infusing your work with purpose
- Developing your business model over time
- Why entrepreneurs should consider hiring a publicist
In this episode we discuss:
00:58 An introduction to Tracy Lamourie
- Tracy’s current focus [01:23]
- An introduction to Lamourie Media [02:18]
04:31 Keeping in touch with Jimmy after freeing him from death row
07:02 Becoming a freelance marketer for various international advocacies
11:45 How Tracy soldiered on after losing 80% of her work due to COVID-19
14:21 Transitioning from “glorified telemarketing” to freelance marketing
17:42 The evolution of Lamourie Media’s business model
- Revenue forecasting for the company [20:00]
23:54 Overcoming your personal challenges in life and business
25:46 How entrepreneurs can develop their PR skills and why to hire a publicist
30:01 Tracy’s biggest failure in business and lessons learned
33:25 Tracy’s parting shot
- We really believed that we could change the world, and when you really believe that, you are driven to do the things you need to make everything fall into place.
- There is money in the world. There is opportunity in the world. It’s just a matter of getting it.
- If you don’t start your journey at the right place in your head, you’re not going to be empowered. You need to be empowered to fight whatever they’re going to throw at you.
- Why do you need a publicist? Because you probably don’t know what the pitch is, you don’t know what the angles are, you haven’t dealt with media, and you’re probably thinking way more about the advertising side. It’s very hard for entrepreneurs to get their heads away from that.
- I don’t care if you’re a doctor, lawyer, candlestick maker, hotel toilet cleaner, or lawn care person—there are media opportunities for you.
- The only difference between the people in your field you see quoted in the media and you is that somebody told the media about that other guy.
- Life is a pitch. It’s all about the pitch. You have to know how to present yourself based on what they’re looking for, and then you literally just rack up these opportunities and customers start coming to you.