Keep on chimpin’ with Mr Chimp aka Niall Mckay-Mount, the creator of Screaming Chimp Chilli Sauce
Niall McKay-Mount shares his roller-coster ride of a success story, bouncing forward from the lowest point of his life into the world of entrepreneurship when he founded Screaming Chimp Chilli Sauce.
Niall joins me in this episode and we discuss:
- How he recovered from severe depression and went on to found a successful business with a plethora of awards
- The strategies and mindset that Niall adopted in order to cut through competition and naysayers
- Why having clarity in your vision-mission is the best way to attract customers
In this episode we discuss:
00:39 Introduction to Niall McKay-Mount
- Niall’s background [00:56]
01:24 The entertaining backstory behind Screaming Chimp Chilli Sauce
12:28 How turned his life around, from suffering depression to becoming an accolade-laden entrepreneur
- Niall’s perspective on the need for validation [14:31]
18:17 Standing out from your competitors — Did Niall ever think that his business wouldn’t be successful?
21:45 Niall’s biggest failures as an entrepreneur
- The importance of taking a step back to realize how far you’ve come [23:09]
29:48 Some of the natural attributes that helped Niall to succeed in business
Quick Juice Questions
35:42 What do you invest in, and why?
All the money that I get from Screaming Chimp goes back into the company to try and grow.
35:46 What most inspires you and where are you most inspired?
I’m most inspired when I’m in front of people. It’s people’s reactions to my products—that’s when I’m most inspired. Being with people who enjoy my products also inspires me to come up with new sayings, which are all off-the-cuff.
36:05 Which book has inspired you and changed your thinking the most?
I’ll be honest with you: I don’t really read a lot. I’ve always struggled with reading. Ever since I was at school—I left school without any real qualifications because I couldn’t concentrate at school. But The Chimp Paradox is quite good.
37:01 If there’s one last bit of Executive Juice you can share for people who want to get to the top of their property game, what would it be?
Don’t let anybody put you off from what you want to do. Even if you fail at it, you have to do what you want to do. Try and take those small pluses and actually celebrate them. Take time to acknowledge your successes, no matter how small or big. Do something. Don’t just go through it robotically, because it’ll feel soulless. You need to breathe life into whatever you’re doing. Don’t let anybody sway you, either. Recognize when you’ve done something good and build on that. Even if you fail, it’s a lesson learned.
- It doesn’t matter how down you are. It doesn’t matter what stigma is attached to you. You can change your life around. It doesn’t matter in what situation you’ve been. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
- Taking a step back and taking the time to look at what you’ve done and achieved can give you confidence to keep on plowing through.
Connect with Niall McKay-Mount: