Choosing your clients and perseverance with Pet detective Layla Flaherty
Layla Flaherty is living her dream life as CEO of Urban Paws UK, where animals are a part of her daily life. However, the day-to-day realities of running a business aren’t always glamorous. Learn how Layla is able to overcome challenge after challenge and stay as passionate as she’s always been about being her own boss.
Layla joins me in this episode and we discuss:
- How to persevere in spite of business overwhelm
- Why you should treat all clients equally with respect
- Tips on empowering your employees
In this episode we discuss:
00:41 Introduction to Layla Flaherty
- Layla’s background [00:56]
- What Layla is focusing on right now [01:26]
02:51 What led Layla to start Urban Paws
- How perseverance helps the self-taught CEO to keep her business thriving [07:14]
09:33 The importance of keeping an eye out for opportunities even during COVID-19
10:22 Layla’s biggest failures and the lessons that came out of them
- Why you need to treat every single client, no matter their prestige, with the same high level of care and respect [12:30]
14:01 Has Layla created freedom in her life?
14:57 What Layla considers to be her winning habits
- How Layla inspires her team to produce their best work every day [15:59]
- What Layla does to continue to improve herself [17:29]
Quick Juice Questions
19:53 What do you invest in, and why?
I don’t currently invest. However, I’m really eager to start investing in properties. I’ve always said that when the company is at a stage where it’s running itself, I’d love nothing more than to buy properties that are totally rundown, do them up, and rent them out or sell them again.
20:26 What most inspires you and where are you most inspired?
What inspires me the most are people who never, ever give up, regardless of how many failures or knockbacks they’ve had. I’m probably most inspired when I’m around nature: when I’m literally in a park, listening to birds, and just in the zone. That’s when I tend to feel most relaxed, and it’s when I come up with a lot of my ideas.
21:20 Which book has inspired you and changed your thinking the most?
There hasn’t been a book that’s inspired me for years because I’m constantly reading about business; so I can’t really answer that one. Sorry!
21:39 If there’s one last bit of Executive Juice you can share for people who want to get to the top of their property game, what would it be?
Believe in yourself, never give up, and surround yourself with like-minded people—especially people who encourage you as opposed to negative people. I always think that’s a big part of achieving your goals.
- I do believe in perseverance. Just keep going, and if something’s not working, try something new.
- Believe in yourself, never give up, and surround yourself with like-minded people—especially people who encourage you as opposed to negative people.
Connect with Layla Flaherty