Break through the glass ceiling and fall back in love with your business with Gavin Preston
Business Strategist Gavin Preston joins us as we discuss entrepreneurs hitting glass ceilings in their business, losing sight of the big picture, and attributes that can help entrepreneurs cut out distractions and focus on the next phase of growth for their business.
In this episode we discuss:
00:43 Quick Introduction to Gavin Preston
01:05 What the audience might not know about Gavin Preston
02:58 How Gavin feels about the clients he’s helped grow their businesses in less than a year
03:38 Gavin on why people hit glass ceilings in their business and what they can do
07:34 Knowing when to step back and recruit good people so you can focus on the next phase of growth for your business
08:58 How Gavin ensures he doesn’t lose sight of the big picture when managing the day-to-day aspects of his business
11:09 Gavin’s current focus
13:23 Gavin’s biggest failure and what came out of it
19:01 Visualize, then put in the work
21:20 Attributes that have helped Gavin focus and improve productivity
25:47 Phone off and Focus
Quick Juice Questions
26:56 Do you currently invest? And if so, what do you invest in?
Yes. In fact, my wife and I are currently going through the purchase of two investment properties – a buy-to-let and a holiday let.
27:22 What most inspires you? When and where are you most inspired?
I’m hugely inspired by stories of success in business – somebody starting up from their bedroom, spotting a market opportunity, and turning it into a phenomenal service that makes a difference in the lives of their customers.
28:16 Which book has inspired you and changed your thinking the most?
Napoleon Hill’s Think and Grow Rich and Tony Robbin’s Unlimited Power were two books in my late teen years that set me off on the path of the work that I do now.
30:44 What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received and/or given?
In periods of overwhelm, when your resilience is most tested, “just take the next step.”
32:19 If there’s one last bit of Executive Juice you can share for people who want to get to the top of their game, what would it be?
“Get out of your own way.” You don’t need permission. You have everything within you to achieve the things you want to achieve.
- Listen to Gavin Preston’s The Business Mastermind podcast on iTunes
- Attend The Evolve Mastermind events
- Daniel Priestley’s Key Person of Influence
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- The Success System that Never Fails by W. Clement Stone
- Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
- Always focus on the bigger picture.
- Around the capability of a business, I use a mnemonic called SCALE – Systems, Cash, Advance, Leadership and culture, Effectiveness.
- They (entrepreneurs) can get lost in any area, but one of the areas where I see it happening consistently is mindset and capacity. They’ve lost their own belief in what they can achieve.
- If you’re a business owner, there needs to be times when you step back and look at things more strategically.
- Always focus on things you want to achieve.
- Setbacks and failures always help in learning.
- There’s power in visualization. But when it’s matched with action, that’s where the magic happens.
- When I’m at my most productive is when I’m zoned in on one thing.
- Get out of your own way.
- You don’t need permission. You have everything within you to achieve the things you want to achieve.